Home Mortgage After Divorce: What will be the Situation?

Home » Blog » Home Mortgage After Divorce: What will be the Situation?

We all know that divorce is a challenging phase, and the changes in the overall mortgage rules over the last few years have made it difficult for people to handle the situations post-divorce and separation. For most cases, one spouse wants to remain in the home and purchase the other out of the exceeding equity.

Currently, one partner can refinance 80% of the value of the home. It leaves about 20% of the equity unavailable for the total buyout, forcing the sale of the property. Due to this, both the insurers will consider the Marital Home Buyout, which is about 95% of the house's total value. The deal is taken as the "purchase," and the spouse who stays in the home becomes the actual buyer of the home. If you want to know further about the spousal buyout mortgage, you can consult with a mortgage provider with several years of experience in this field and help you choose the best mortgage plan for you.

What Do You Understand By The Marital Home Buyout?

Considering the First Option-

  1. Refinance the home in a conventional manner, which is up to 80% of the home's value.
  2. One party will refinance the property, but he or she will need to qualify for the mortgage and the other liabilities on the income alone.
Considering the Second Option-
  1. Refinancing through the CMHC buyout program
  2. Qualified clients can then refinance the home, up to 95% of the property's value.
  3. CMHC's spousal buyout program will allow the equity to be used only to pay out the spouse and other debts
  4. For the refinance over 80% loans to value, the clients will be subjected to insurance premiums. If the mortgage was originally CMHC insured, clients can face a smaller top-up a premium or, if not totally.

What Are The Requirements Of Spousal Mortgage?

At the time of mortgage approval, apart from the income verification and other standard conditions, lenders will need to show-
  1. Divorce or the separation agreement
  2. Proof of support payments
  3. An offer to purchase between two spouses for the subject property
  4. An appraisal is also needed in case of a spousal buyout

If you are going through the marital breakdown, be sure that you reach out to the experienced broker who offers spousal buyout in Alberta and other locations nearby.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.